Thursday, March 1, 2012

Finding Hope


Read: Psalm 42:1-11
Why are you cast down, O my soul? . . . Hope in God, for I shall yet praise Him.

A study conducted by researchers at the University of Minnesota found that almost 15 percent of American teenagers felt it was “highly likely” that they would die before their 35th birthday. Those with this pessimistic outlook were more likely to engage in reckless behavior. Dr. Iris Borowsky, author of the study published inPediatrics magazine, said: “These youth may take risks because they feel hopeless and figure that not much is at stake.”
No one is immune to feelings of despair. The Psalms express repeated pleas for help when life seems dark. “Why are you in despair, O my soul? And why have you become disturbed within me? Hope in God, for I shall again praise Him for the help of His presence” (Ps. 42:5 NASB). In a defiant step of faith, the psalmist tells himself not to forget about God, who will never forsake him.
Curtis Almquist has written: “Hope is fueled by the presence of God. . . . [It] is also fueled by the future of God in our lives.” We can say with the psalmist, “I shall yet praise Him” (v.5).
No follower of Christ should feel reluctant to seek counsel for depression. Nor should we feel that faith and prayer are too simplistic to help. There is always hope in God!
My sheep I know, they are My own,
I leave them not in trials alone;
I will be with them to the end,
Their Hope, their Joy, their dearest Friend. —Anon. 
Hope for the Christian is a certainty— because its basis is Christ.

by 


Verse of the Day


There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love.
1 John 4:18
New International Version
 

THOUGHTS ABOUT TODAY'S VERSE...
What is there to fear if God sent his Son to die to redeem us? What is there to fear if we cannot be separated from the love God has for us in Christ Jesus? What is there to fear except ourselves? As we love God and his children, we are reminded by his love for us, which is far better than our meager love for others. Rather than run from him in fear, we bow before him in thanks, knowing that he who hears our prayers is also he who loves us and stops our fears. 


MY PRAYER...
Loving Father, thank you that I can revere you without fearing your wrath. Thank you that I can revere your word and yet not be terrified by my inadequacies. May your love in me produce a closer likeness to your holiness, righteousness, justice, and mercy than all the laws, threats, and judges combined. Through Jesus, who ransomed me from sin, I pray. Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment